FourStroke 20 HP
Performance and Power in one convenient package.
Taking the fun with you is one of the great advantages of owning an inflatable boat or small fishing boat. Mercury offers a complete line of extremely light portable FourStroke outboards, with the widest range of models to choose from. So wherever you and your boat go, your Mercury portable FourStroke can also go. The entire line makes operation and portability easy with smart, simple features. Plus, clean, quiet, fuel-efficient FourStroke performance makes them the obvious power of choice.
- Engine Type : inline 2
- Displacement (CID/CC) : 21.4 / 351
- Full Throttle RPM Range : 5400-6100
- Fuel Induction System : 2 valves per cylinder, single overhead cam (SOHC)
- Alternator Amp : 12 amp / 138 watt
- Recommended Fuel : 87% octane/up to 10% ethanol
- Recommended Oil : Mercury FourStroke Oil 10W-30
- Engine Protection Operator Warning System : Low oil pressure, Over-rev
- Starting : Electric, Manual
- Steering : Remote, Tiller
- Gearcase Ratio : 2.15:1
- Dry Weight * Lightest model available : 115lbs / 52kg
- CARB Star Rating : 3
- Bore & Stroke (in/mm) : 2.40 x 2.36″ / 61 x 60 mm
- Ignition : CDI w/electronic spark advance
- Fuel System : Carbureted
- Cooling System : Water-cooled with thermostat
- Gear Shift : F-N-R
- Gearcase options: Standard
- Trim System : Power Tilt
- Trim Positions : 6
- Exhaust System : Though prop
- Shallow Water Drive : Yes
- Remote Fuel Tank : 6.6 gal / 25 L
- color: Phantom Black
- HP/Kw : 20 / 14.7
- Shaft Length : 15 in (381mm) / 20 in (508 mm)
- Shallow Water Trim Range : 16 degrees
Specifications are subject to change without notice
Push down on the tiller handle to easily tilt the outboard to any position, made easy with our exclusive ratcheting transom bracket.
Big-time power. With a longer design and bigger components, Mercury Command Thrust was made specifically to deliver the type of power, thrust and control that wider, heavier boats demand.
The Command Thrust Difference (Blue shaded areas represent prop and gearcase advantages)
- 20% larger prop increases control especially at low speeds.
- Taller gearcase puts the prop deeper, below turbulent water, for improved performance.
- A low 2.42:1 gear ratio delivers thrust and maneuveraility that big loads demand.
- Oversized Antiventilation Plate. Oversized design prevents air from being drawn into the prop, which increases efficiency.
The fastest power tilt in the industry drops a Mercury 9.9 – 15hp ProKicker FourStroke outboard into the water in just five seconds. Exclusive kicker-centering straps align and secure the outboard in full tilt-up position while you’re underway.
Reliable and Easy Starts.
Exclusive Primer and Fast Idle systems get Mercury 9.9 – 15hp ProKicker FourStroke outboards started fast – hot or cold – even if poor-quality fuel becomes a factor. Just push the primer button and go.
The exclusive push-button Primer and Fast Idle systems on the Mercury 8 – 9.9hp FourStroke engines deliver an easy start with quick warm-up. And it doesn’t struggle with poor-quality gas, unlike auto-choke systems used on some outboards.
Mercury ® ProKicker outboards feature a deeper gearcase and a four-blade, high-thrust propeller with matching gear ratio – the perfect setup for trolling and precise control in all conditions.
Total Single-Handed Tiller Control.
Tiller-steered versions feature the exclusive Mercury multifunction tiller that puts shifting, throttle control (with friction for fine-tuned trolling), stopping, tilting and steering in the palm of your hand.
The ProKicker gearcase is engineered to be rugged and durable, with robust gears and bearings and a heavy-duty skeg that’s 55% thicker and twice as strong side-to-side as the previous gearcase.
- Fingertip Control: Mercury Fourstrokes are designed with a boat load of user-friendly features, such as our multifunction tiller handle. This tiller handle gives you easy one-handed operation of shifting, stopping, throttle, throttle friction, and tilt. More control equals better maneuverability.
- Large Displacement Design: At 21.4 cubic inches, this engine delivers the strong low-end torque needed to get the hull up on plane, with quicker throttle response and acceleration.
- Long-Lasting Gearcase: Mercury’s 20hp FourStrokes have dual water pickups. So even if you end up in the shallows, your engine will keep its cool and not overheat.
- Wishbone Mounts: Mercury’s “wishbone” style motor mount system cradles the powerhead and absorbs the torsional rotation of the crankshaft. By isolating and reducing the vibration transmission to your boat, it provides a smooth driving experience.