FourStroke 8 HP
Go anywhere with portable power.
Taking the fun with you is one of the great advantages of owning an inflatable boat or small fishing boat. Mercury offers a complete line of extremely light portable FourStroke outboards, with the widest range of models to choose from. So wherever you and your boat go, your Mercury portable FourStroke can also go. The entire line makes operation and portability easy with smart, simple features. Plus, clean, quiet, fuel-efficient FourStroke performance makes them the obvious power of choice.
- Displacement (CID/CC) : 12.8 / 208
- Engine type : 2 (in-line)
- Bore & Stroke (in/mm) : 2.16 x 1.73in / 55 x 44mm
- Fuel System : Carbureted
- Fuel Induction System : 2 valves per cylinder, single overhead cam (SOHC)
- Cooling System : Water-cooled with thermostat
- Full Throttle RPM Range : 5000-6000
- Ignition System : CDI w/electronic spark advance
- Starting : Electric / Manual
- Alternator Amp : 6 amp / 76 watt
- Gear Shift : F-N-R
- Steering : Tiller
- Trim Positions : Ratcheting
- Shallow Water Drive : Yes
- Recommended Oil : Mercury FourStroke Oil 10W-30
- CARB Star Rating : 3
- Remote Fuel Tank : 3.2 gal / 12 L
- Exhaust System : Though prop
- Dry Weight * Lightest model available : 84lbs / 38kg
- Engine Protection Operator Warning System : Low oil pressure, Over-rev
- Gearcase Ratio : 2.08:1
- Gearcase options: Standard
- Recommended Fuel : 87% octane/up to 10% ethanol
- Color: Phantom Black
- HP/Kw @ Prop : 8 / 5.9
- Shaft Length : 15 in (381mm) / 20 in (508 mm)
- Shallow Water Trim Range : 16 degrees
Specifications are subject to change without notice
At only 83 pounds, these engines are very portable and improve the performance of lightweight boats.
Convenient and Easy Tilting.
Push down on the tiller handle to easily tilt the outboard to any position, made easy with our exclusive ratcheting transom bracket.
Big-time power. With a longer design and bigger components, Mercury Command Thrust was made specifically to deliver the type of power, thrust and control that wider, heavier boats demand.
The Command Thrust Difference (Blue shaded areas represent prop and gearcase advantages)
- 20% larger prop increases control especially at low speeds.
- Taller gearcase puts the prop deeper, below turbulent water, for improved performance.
- A low 2.42:1 gear ratio delivers thrust and maneuveraility that big loads demand.
- Oversized Antiventilation Plate. Oversized design prevents air from being drawn into the prop, which increases efficiency.
The fastest power tilt in the industry drops a Mercury 9.9 – 15hp ProKicker FourStroke outboard into the water in just five seconds. Exclusive kicker-centering straps align and secure the outboard in full tilt-up position while you’re underway.
Reliable and Easy Starts.
Exclusive Primer and Fast Idle systems get Mercury 9.9 – 15hp ProKicker FourStroke outboards started fast – hot or cold – even if poor-quality fuel becomes a factor. Just push the primer button and go.
The exclusive push-button Primer and Fast Idle systems on the Mercury 8 – 9.9hp FourStroke engines deliver an easy start with quick warm-up. And it doesn’t struggle with poor-quality gas, unlike auto-choke systems used on some outboards.
Mercury ® ProKicker outboards feature a deeper gearcase and a four-blade, high-thrust propeller with matching gear ratio – the perfect setup for trolling and precise control in all conditions.
Total Single-Handed Tiller Control.
Tiller-steered versions feature the exclusive Mercury multifunction tiller that puts shifting, throttle control (with friction for fine-tuned trolling), stopping, tilting and steering in the palm of your hand.
The ProKicker gearcase is engineered to be rugged and durable, with robust gears and bearings and a heavy-duty skeg that’s 55% thicker and twice as strong side-to-side as the previous gearcase.
- Convenient Trim Ratcheting: The 8 and 9.9hp models come standard with both ratcheting trim and tilt lock. The ratcheting trim allows you to easily trim the motor up to the height you need. When you’re ready to tilt the engine down, the tilt lock will keep it at your selected angle.
- Fingertip Control: Mercury Fourstrokes are designed with a boat load of user-friendly features, such as our multifunction tiller handle. This tiller handle gives you easy one-handed operation of shifting, stopping, throttle, throttle friction, and tilt. More control equals better maneuverability.
- Kick it up a Notch. – The 9.9hp Mercury ProKicker features a compact, integrated power tilt and a heavy-duty transom bracket for maximum strength, speed, and durability. – Additionally, the 9.9hp ProKicker sports an updated graphics package designed to complement the OptiMax Pro XS and Verado outboards. Installed next to a Pro XS or Verado outboard, the improved ProKicker graphics will make your rig stand out from the rest of the pack. – Patented Centering Straps. Holds the engine straight without additional hold-downs when running in rough conditions or trailering (Standard on Tiller Pro Kickers).
- Lightweight Portable Champions: The lightest engine in its class, the 8 and 9.9hp outboards come in at a scant 83 pounds. These outboards are a perfect fit for a wide range of small boat applications.